Mini-Rant: British Terminology

I understand the whole difference in terms like "boot" for "trunk" and "flat" for "apartment" but what I can't stand is the term "row" for a fight.  What's up with that?  One of the news feeds I read is the BBC.  It seems like any dispute, fight, uproar, or brouhaha is referred to as a "row".  You would think that the English (you know, the ones who came up with the English language) could think of better ways to say it than "row".  Heck, I just came up with four right there.